It can be a challenge for newcomers to find out about mandatory insurance in Spain and to go through the process of obtaining Spanish insurance.
In this article we will tell you what insurance types are compulsory in Spain, including information on what the law requires and what you may need as additional cover as an expatriate and what you need to protect your lifestyle and that of your family while living in Spain.
What insurance is legally required in Spain?
– Household insurance: Household insurance is not a mandatory requirement but is recommended if you buy a house in Spain. However, if you do it through a Spanish mortgage is obligatory.
In this case your mortgage provider will offer you a home insurance, but you are not under any obligation to contract this, you can evaluate other and more competitive options. In order to do so, you should look for a cover that insures you against: natural disasters, fires, floods and other damages. In the case of new construction, they should already be covered against any defect due to poor workmanship.
In case of the building of apartments, in Spain at state level there is no provision in the Autonomous Community of Andalusia. Nor, is there is any specific legislation that forces to take out community insurance, although it is advisable to have it with the basic coverage for the building and civil liability.
Whether or not it is compulsory, it is advisable for the owners’ association to take out an insurance policy to avoid possible problems in the future. Flexible insurance policies in terms of prices and coverage are available.
– Insurance of content: is not obligatory either, but it is very important that you do consider interior home insurance, especially if it is your second home or if you leave your house empty for long periods of time or even if you rent it out.
– Car and other vehicle insurance: As elsewhere, a minimum level of insurance is required by the Spanish law, called third party insurance. It is required that cars, including trucks, recreational vehicles, motorcycles, scooters, boats and airplanes be insured. This covers damage to third parties, fire and theft. You can opt for all-risk insurance, which will cover damage to your car, the other car and other issues that may arise.
Lower monthly payments may be available if you have proof that you have not made a claim in several years and/or are willing to pay a higher excess. In some cases, you may be able to submit your accident or insurance history from your former country of residence.
To drive in Spain, you may need to obtain a Spanish driver’s licence once you are a resident and it will help you learn the rules of driving and parking in Spain.
– Life, unemployment and injury insurance: in some cases, foreigners will be entitled to state unemployment benefits, although this should be compared to benefits offered by a plan. Life insurance is not compulsory either.
– Health insurance: free health care is covered by social security, although some foreigners opt for private health insurance to reduce waiting times, extend options and, in some cases, for English-speaking specialists.
– Dental insurance: dental care is not covered by the Spanish health system, except in certain circumstances, for example, if you are under 18.
– Pet insurance: can cover the cost of unexpected veterinary bills and, in some cases, burial and theft.
– Travel Insurance: In some cases, travel accidents may be covered by private medical insurance.
Marbella Luxury Homes offers insurance services in the Costa del Sol with the best value for your money. We are associated with the best insurance companies. We offer the insurances services, as noted above. We will ensure that you will always have the coverage you need and the best policy, without having to pay extra for guarantees that you are not going to use.
We have home insurance policies that are tailored to suit your flat, loft, attic, ground floor, country house, semi-detached or individual villa. Different kinds of insurance packages are available with all guarantees firmly in place. We cater for all different properties and circumstances, holiday homes, permanent residence, communal insurance for buildings, rental properties etc., to ensure you get the insurance package that best suits your needs.